std.compress

David d at dav1d.de
Tue Jun 4 05:48:34 PDT 2013

Am 04.06.2013 05:44, schrieb Walter Bright:
> https://github.com/WalterBright/phobos/blob/std_compress/std/compress.d
>
> I wrote this to add components to compress and expand ranges.
>
> Highlights:
>
> 1. doesn't do any memory allocation
> 2. can handle arbitrarily large sets of data
> 3. it's lazy
> 4. takes an InputRange, and outputs an InputRange
>
> Comments welcome.

Why do we need that? I would much rather have a deflate which doesn't
depend on a C zlib (a proper std.zlib written in 100% D) and followed by
a less buggy, less pita, less limited std.zip (btw. I think I fxed one
of the bugs a while ago but it is still open and listed as bug on
dlang.org).

I personally never used lzw compression and from what I know it is only
used in GIF and TIFF (I might be wrong here), in comparison to deflate
which is used in a varity of formats. So making std.compress only
contain a rarely used compression algorithm feels wrong, having in it
std.compress.* ok.