Slow performance compared to C++, ideas?

deadalnix deadalnix at gmail.com
Tue Jun 4 07:29:51 PDT 2013

On Tuesday, 4 June 2013 at 13:26:26 UTC, John Colvin wrote:
> What happens when the library author adds some critical
> book-keeping to a method that you're overriding?

It shouldn't do so on public method, as the problem is the exact
same as override. It the method is private, then the problem goes
away. Finally, if the method is protected, it doesn't make sense.

> I agree it would be nice to follow another route on this. Final
> vs virtual defaults is probably an endless debate, sidestepping
> it completely with a clever finalizing technique would be ideal.

The information missing for the compiler at link time right now
is the overridability of a method in a shared object. This can be
solved for a lot of code by enforcing stringer semantic for
extern.