std.compress

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Tue Jun 4 10:26:01 PDT 2013

On Tuesday, June 04, 2013 01:23:52 Walter Bright wrote:
> I think it's a bad idea to 'mangle' the name. First off, if it is private,
> it is not visible. And even being public, the anti-hijacking language
> features make it a non-problem. The whole point is to avoid the wretched C
> problems with a global name space, by not having a global name space.

Not visible? When was that fixed? Last time I checked, access level had zero
effect on visibility, just your ability to actually call it. Access level is
taken into account after overload resolution. So, if there's another, public
symbol with the same name which would be as good a match as this one aside
from access level, then you're going to get a compilation error - which is
exactly why most of us argue that inaccessible symbols should not be visible.
But that requires a language change (which should definitely happen IMHO, but
AFAIK, it still hasn't).

- Jonathan M Davis