Path as an object in std.path

Dylan Knutson tcdknutson at gmail.com
Tue Jun 4 23:27:44 PDT 2013

Hello,
I'd like to open up the idea of Path being an object in std.path.
I've submitted a pull
(https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/phobos/pull/1333) that
adds a Path struct to std.path, "which exposes a much more
palatable interface to path string manipulation".

As jmdavis points out, this has previously been discussed.
However, I can't find that discussion, and I think that the
benefits of including an OO way to deal with paths is a serious
gain for the standard library.

Why I think it should be reconsidered for inclusion in the std
(listed in the pull):
* Adds a (more) platform independent abstraction for path strings.
* Path provides a type safe way to pass, compare, and manipulate
arbitrary path strings.
* It wraps over the functions defined in std.path, so behavior of
methods on Path are, in most cases, identical to their
corresponding module function.

I'd like some feedback on what others think about this; I'd hate
to see this commit closed due to a discussion that happened at a
different point in D's development when the language had
different needs.

Thank you.