request for integer overflow experimental switch

eles eles at eles.com
Tue Jun 4 23:54:26 PDT 2013

Dear all,

  The question of if the integers should overflow or not by
default comes back now and then and latest was in this thread:
http://forum.dlang.org/thread/mailman.739.1370297482.13711.digitalmars-d-learn@puremagic.com
(and, before you ask, yes, by me).

  Yes, I am a supporter of this.

  But I am not sure if it is a good idea or no, although for me
should be just like the -noboundscheck compiler flag, ie the
runtime overhead will be included only on explicit request.

  But, while I do not dare asking for the feature to be in the
language, could it be added to the compiler, for a while? Even as
undocumented feature, for testing by those who would like to.

  Maybe some branch "experimental" or "throw-away" could be
created to this end.

  After one month of using it people will have their arguments pro
or contra supported not only by faith, but also by facts.

  Then, after one month, if is a bad feature and an undocumented
one, silently remove it and, voilà, everything will be just as
today is.

  Thank you.