std.compress

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Wed Jun 5 01:11:14 PDT 2013

> Maybe some do, but many don't, and 1000 lines is _far_ from too much. If we
> start making modules that small, we're going to end up with tons of them to
> wade through to find anything.

1. It isn't any harder to find things in multiple files than in one file.

2. If there's a ton in one file, you have to wade through the ton to find what
you're looking for.

Your argument has merit if you are using a floppy disk drive for storage, as
floppies are agonizingly slow to read files off of. But that problem disappeared
30 years ago.

(At an SD conference back in the 80's, I was on a compiler panel with the
compiler guys from Microsoft, Borland, etc. We were each asked how our
respective compilers worked on floppy systems. The guys would say "well, you set
it up this way, configure it that way, juggle what goes on which floppy, and you
can do it!" I was the third of five guys, and my response was:

"We charge $200 extra for the floppy disk development system, and ship you a
hard disk with it."

That was the end of that discussion, and I never heard that question again.