Error after installing DMD v2.063

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Wed Jun 5 10:24:44 PDT 2013

On Wednesday, June 05, 2013 19:13:46 Joakim wrote:
> On Monday, 3 June 2013 at 21:18:54 UTC, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> > Also does ".tar.gz" vs ".tar.bz2" matter? I understand that the
> > latter
> > (if I spelled it right) is newer and better compression, but
> > any reason
> > that it might *need* to be one or the other?
>
> I'd look at xz, it's increasingly becoming the standard packaging
> format for open source distros:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xz#Uses
>
> It usually compresses the tightest and decompresses the fastest,
> while beating bzip2 on compression time.

In my experience, xz has way worse compression time than bzip2, and on smaller
files, it actually compresses worse. Where xz shines are large files. It
definitely beats out bzip2 by a fair bit there. But as it loses at small files
(which distro packages usually are), it seems very off to me that Arch Linux
switched to used xz from gzip. It would have made for more sense to switch to
bzip2.

I we split the dmd zip, I question that it would be large enough for xz to
compress better than bzip2. And I don't think that xz is supported as well in
general as gzip or bzip2. So, I doubt that switching to xz is a good idea.

- Jonathan M Davis