Why UTF-8/16 character encodings?

Timothee Cour thelastmammoth at gmail.com
Wed Jun 5 18:11:25 PDT 2013

On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 10:57 PM, Walter Bright
<newshound2 at digitalmars.com>wrote:

> On 5/30/2013 5:00 PM, Peter Williams wrote:

>>> Sure, but the code itself is written using ASCII!
>>>

>> Because they had no choice.
>>

> Not true, D supports Unicode identifiers.

currently std.demangle.demangle doesn't work with unicode (see example
below)

If we decide to keep allowing unicode symbols (as opposed to just unicode
strings/comments), we must
address this issue. Will supporting this negatively impact performance (of
both compile time and runtime) ?

Likewise, will linkers + other tools (gdb etc) be happy with unicode in
mangled names?

----
struct A{
    int z;
    void foo(int x){}
    void さいごの果実(int x){}
    void ªå(int x){}
}
mangledName!(A.さいごの果実).demangle.writeln;=>
_D4util13demangle_funs1A18さいごの果実MFiZv
----