using that much pragma disables in dmd msc build?

Rainer Schuetze r.sagitario at gmx.de
Thu Jun 6 00:02:40 PDT 2013

On 05.06.2013 08:04, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 6/4/2013 10:25 PM, dennis luehring wrote:

>>> examples?
>>>

>> better asked: why global switch of the warnings, are all occurences
>> just wrong?
>>

> The file was written by Rainer Schuetze and Mark Mohr. I don't know the
> specifics, except that none of them in warnings.h found real errors, and
> frankly were far more annoying than useful when I tried VC++ on dmd with
> all warnings on.

Most of the warnings relate to coding style (like warning about
unreferenced local variables, signed/unsigned conflicts, etc which
Walter often expressed not wanting in D, so I assumed that's even more
in C). Others are caused by massive usage of the C preprocessor (like
casting constants or using them like normal variables causing the flow
analysis to produce warnings).

I'm undecided about using bools in arithmetic expression, disabling
these warnings was added by Mark.

Leaving warnings on, but having no good reason to fix them (but to mute
the compiler) just leads to ignore every warning, and that seems more
dangerous.