Slow performance compared to C++, ideas?

David Nadlinger code at klickverbot.at
Thu Jun 6 08:33:17 PDT 2013

On Tuesday, 4 June 2013 at 00:19:39 UTC, Manu wrote:
> Is there a reason this change offends you enough to call me
> names? Or can
> you at least tell how I'm being narrow-minded?

It's not at all the change itself that irritates me. I would
never resort to making ad hominem arguments in a technical
discussion, at least not deliberately so.

In fact, from what I remember from the various discussions at
DConf, I think we have pretty much the same opinion regarding how
hidden costs are a bit too pervasive in present-day D,
respectively how it encourages an inherently wasteful style of
coding in more places than necessary. I also agree that in the
current class design, virtual-by-default is dangerous. If we were
to go back to the drawing board, though, I'd be interested in
exploring alternative directions in the design space, away from
the Java-style OOP model altogether.

What I disagree with is just the style of the discussion, for
reasons that Andrei already summarized in a much more eloquent
way than I could. Trying to Be Right on the Internet is one
thing, but does not necessarily improve the situation at all. And
even if they eventually do, such discussions tend to be a much
bigger waste of time and energy for everybody involved than
necessary, which is also the reason why I mostly ignored this
thread so far.

David