Slow performance compared to C++, ideas?

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Thu Jun 6 12:31:29 PDT 2013

On 6/6/13 2:20 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 6/5/2013 5:49 PM, deadalnix wrote:
>> The first point : Anders Hejlsberg: There are several reasons. One is
>> performance. We can observe that as people write code in Java, they
>> forget to
>> mark their methods final. Therefore, those methods are virtual.
>> Because they're
>> virtual, they don't perform as well. There's just performance overhead
>> associated with being a virtual method. That's one issue.
>>
>> It is blatantly false. Maybe it was true at the time, I don't know,
>> but I find
>> quite disturbing that the first argument is 100% moot.
>

> It may very well be false for JIT systems, but for native code, we
> already discussed that auto-finalization is unlikely to be practical for D.

I think class hierarchy analysis is very doable for whole D projects.
You just pass the tool all files in the project and it does its thing.

http://www.cs.ucla.edu/~palsberg/tba/papers/dean-grove-chambers-ecoop95.pdf

This would actually be a great GSoC-style project, distributable via tools/.

Andrei