Slow performance compared to C++, ideas?

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Thu Jun 6 16:54:37 PDT 2013

On 7 June 2013 05:37, Walter Bright <newshound2 at digitalmars.com> wrote:

>> I think class hierarchy analysis is very doable for whole D projects. You
>> just
>> pass the tool all files in the project and it does its thing.
>>
>> http://www.cs.ucla.edu/~**palsberg/tba/papers/dean-**
>> grove-chambers-ecoop95.pdf<http://www.cs.ucla.edu/~palsberg/tba/papers/dean-grove-chambers-ecoop95.pdf>
>>
>> This would actually be a great GSoC-style project, distributable via
>> tools/.
>>

> The trouble, as has been pointed out before, is shared libraries.

And the existence of 'sufficiently smart linker', and the fact that the
platforms that suffer from this stuff way harder than x86 almost always
have less mature compilers/optimisers/linkers.
I just wouldn't ever place my faith in the future arrival of some
sufficiently-smart-[tool]. You couldn't make a business investment on that
illusive possibility.