Slow performance compared to C++, ideas?

Flamaros flamaros.xavier at gmail.com
Thu Jun 6 16:56:38 PDT 2013

On Thursday, 6 June 2013 at 23:48:33 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:

>>> Sorry, that's never going to fly.
>>
>> It could tell the programmer which functions it _thinks_ don't
>> need to be
>> virtual, but it can't be 100% correct. So, it would
>> effectively be a lint-like
>> tool targeting possible devirtualization opportunities. It
>> would actually be
>> potentially useful regardless of whether virtual or
>> non-virtual is the
>> default, since programmers may have needlessly marked
>> functions as virtual.
>> But if it's a question of whether it's a good solution for
>> optimizing away
>> virtuality instead of making functions non-virtual, then I
>> don't think that it
>> would fly - not if optimization is a prime concern. It would
>> just be a nice
>> helper tool for static analysis which could give you
>> suggestions on things you
>> might be able to improve in your program.
>
> I know. But people are never going to use that tool.

I think it depend of his simplicity and integration in the common
D process development. Maybe because D build fast we can add some
extra steps during build of the release?
And developers of companies that develop the biggest application
will be aware of this tool and certainly have script or advanced
tools to build their software release, adding a line during the
building process seems acceptable.