Slow performance compared to C++, ideas?

Andrej Mitrovic andrej.mitrovich at gmail.com
Thu Jun 6 17:26:16 PDT 2013

On 6/7/13, Andrei Alexandrescu <SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org> wrote:
> E.g. finalizing shared and threading.

Complex stuff.. But as far as I know people tend to avoid using shared
(what does it to, except not work with Phobos most of the time?). And
since we're moving into a direction of thread isolation, it seems to
me like shared is something that should be removed from the language
and replaced with a library type.

Couldn't it be replaced with a library type? Disabling ++/-- is easy,
we can write an opAssign, we could make opDispatch automatically
return a Shared!(member), etc. I don't see why something that's both
unsafe (sharing data) and slow should ever be directly supported by
the language.