Slow performance compared to C++, ideas?

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Thu Jun 6 18:19:28 PDT 2013

> On 6/6/13 5:57 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
>> On 6/6/2013 2:23 PM, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>>> (The tool I'm envisioning
>>> would add final annotations or prompt the user to add them.)
>>
>> Sorry, that's never going to fly.
>
> Like a dove.

Few companies care about performance like Facebook does. What performance
analysis tools does FB use routinely and pervasively?

In my experience with major software companies, using anything other than -O is
quite rare. Use of a profiler? nevah hoppin. Yes, a maverick here and there will
use them, but use is not pervasive and routine.

Will our canonical D newbie coming from C++ or Java use such a tool? Nope.
They'll run the compiler, if we're lucky they'll throw -O -release -inline
-noboundscheck, then they'll give the thumbs up or down on performance. This
thread is a classic example.