The non allocating D subset

Tyler Jameson Little beatgammit at gmail.com
Thu Jun 6 22:28:25 PDT 2013

>> This would make D the truely universal language it was
>> intended to be.
>
> I'd love to see that! I think that Phobos code that makes
> allocations can be divided (duplicated) to manual and GC
> versions.

I thought I read somewhere about a marker for functions that
don't need the GC (similar to @safe, but more hardcore; @nogc?),
but I don't recall any real consensus about it. I'd really like
that, especially since I'm interested in D mostly for game dev.

Currently, the GC sucks in a lot of ways, but even if D got a
real concurrent, precise GC, I think I'd still want to have
functions I can rely on not allocating in a critical path.

I'd be happy to contribute some fixes to the standard lib if we
got some kind of marker for functions that don't need a GC.
Ideally, none of Phobos would rely on the GC, but it seems an
unnecessary burden, especially since significant portions can be
made to not rely on the GC.