Slow performance compared to C++, ideas?

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Fri Jun 7 00:22:16 PDT 2013

On 6/6/2013 9:34 PM, Brad Roberts wrote:
> On 6/6/13 6:12 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
>
>> and I'm the only one I know of that uses it.
>
> You really need to get out of the habit of associating "I can't remember people
> telling me they use something" and "no one uses it".
>
>     1) your memory isn't perfect.
>
>     2) just because you're not aware it's happening doesn't mean it isn't.
>
>     3) likely lots of other reasons, but come on, 1 and 2 are more than
> sufficient to kill the phrase.
>
> Yeah, I know you couched it with "I know of" this time, but the pattern is
> pretty silly regardless.  This community is awfully myopic when it comes to use
> of personal history and mapping it onto everyone else's behavior.

A pretty good metric of some feature being used is the frequency it comes up in
discussion here and the action it sees in bugzilla.

There are two obvious reasons why a feature would not have much buzz:

1. it works perfectly
2. it isn't being used

Value Range Propagation is a pretty good example of (1). Sadly, I suspect -cov
is (2).

I'd be happy to be wrong about that.