Slow performance compared to C++, ideas?

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Sat Jun 8 21:56:41 PDT 2013

On 9 June 2013 02:39, Walter Bright <newshound2 at digitalmars.com> wrote:

> On 6/7/2013 8:59 PM, Manu wrote:
>
>> Because they embody functionality, not just data. That's just how many
>> many
>> programmers write code.
>> Go to university for a couple of years, see what they tell you... ;)
>> Some of these systems can effectively be considered plugins. Consider
>> OpenGL/DirectX? DirectSound/XAudio? Linux has a million back-end API's to
>> choose
>> from.
>> I can see why many people feel it's natural to design their API's/systems
>> that
>> way, right or wrong.
>>

> So they don't need to be classes at all. It's not about embodying
> functionality vs data. It's about having a value type vs a polymorphic ref
> type.

Hey? I'm not sure what you're saying..
I just said that people do use classes. And that implies a ref type with
some amount of polymorphism.
These API's are reference based, and there is always a few virtuals. And
these are just trivial examples, a large game unifies a lot of code from
basically all fields of computing.
Trust me, I wouldn't bother spending all this time making a noise about the
performance characteristics of classes if we didn't want/use classes.