builtin sort

Stephan Schiffels stephan_schiffels at mac.com
Mon Jun 10 07:47:08 PDT 2013

On Monday, 10 June 2013 at 11:10:06 UTC, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> On 2013-06-10 11:03, Stephan Schiffels wrote:
>
>> I agree. Do people have the same opinion on the builtin
>> reverse? I don't
>> remember whether there was a discussion about this. I suggest
>> to kill
>> that as well. sort and reverse are perfectly well implemented
>> in the
>> standard library rather than builtin.
>
> "reverse" is implemented with the stupid name "retro".

That's not correct, it's called "reverse" and is a builtin
property of dynamic arrays, see bearophiles answer... "retro" is
lazy!

>> Is anyone actually on this? I could try to dig into it, I
>> guess I could
>> start looking for spurious places in phobos and druntime where
>> these
>> builtin functions are used and replace them with the library
>> ones. If we
>> deprecate it in the end we don't want to see it being used
>> anywhere in
>> the standard implementations.
>
> Perhaps start with modifying the compiler to indicate the
> "sort" and "reverse" functions are deprecated. Then it will be
> easier to find in Phobos and druntime. Also, if used in
> druntime they need to be reimplemented there.

Right, I thought so, too. Indeed, bearophiles issue addresses
this in this order. I will try this on a local branch first and
possibly open a pull request to start a more concrete discussion
on this...

Stephan