Formal Review of std.serialization

Jesse Phillips Jesse.K.Phillips+D at gmail.com
Mon Jun 10 09:11:05 PDT 2013

Today we start the formal review of std.serialization (Orange).
This library is authored by Jacob Carlborg and has been around
through the D1/Tango days.

Please take some time in the next 2 weeks to provide feedback on
the library. Some things to know (from
http://forum.dlang.org/thread/kinpnv$ven$1@digitalmars.com)

* The most important packages are: orange.serialization and
orange.serialization.archives

* Trailing whitespace and tabs will be fixed when/if the package
gets
accepted

And the author had some requests for specific things:

* I'm using some utility functions located in the "util" and
"core"
packages, what should we do about those, where to put them?

* The unit tests are located in its own package, I'm not very
happy
about putting the unit tests in the same module as the rest of
the code,
i.e. the serialization module. What are the options? These test
are
quite high level. They test the whole Serializer class and not
individual functions.

* If this get accepted should I do a sub-tree merge (or what it's
called) to keep the history intact?

Source: https://github.com/jacob-carlborg/orange
Docs:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18386187/orange_docs/Serializer.html

(For those not familiar with CandyDoc, There is a "Package" tab
to view the tree of modules)