about "with statement"

Baz Burg.Basile at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 10 12:37:38 PDT 2013

On Sunday, 9 June 2013 at 10:11:25 UTC, khurshid wrote:
> D language have like Pascal/Delphi  "with statement",  which
> very useful for writing readable code.
>
> http://dlang.org/statement.html#WithStatement
>
> Maybe I'm wrong, but, I never saw  where using this statement
> in phobos  source codes, what problem using this statement?
>
> Regards,
> Khurshid.

You're right but the with statment in Pascal/Delphi is
deprecated. While it was usefull in a simple branch, it was
error-prone. In "D" the scope() statement can be used to overcome
the old Pascal pattern: with whatIcreate try finally free.

quote from Delphi XE4 release (technical pdf):
"4. OTHER LANGUAGE CHANGES
Besides string type changes and objects memory management, there
are other current or
expected changes in the new Delphi ARM compiler that you can
easily start to adopt:
  Sooner or later, the with statement is going to be deprecated
and removed from the
Delphi language. You can easily start removing it now from your
code, and most Delphi
developer will agree this is a good idea anyway, given some of
the hidden pitfalls of this
keyword.
"