reddit discussion on replacing Python in 0install

Anthony Goins neontotem at gmail.com
Mon Jun 10 15:06:28 PDT 2013

On Monday, 10 June 2013 at 20:51:16 UTC, Jesse Phillips wrote:
> On Monday, 10 June 2013 at 18:25:05 UTC, Graham Fawcett wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> There's an interesting discussion going on at Reddit about
>> choosing a replacement language for 0install:
>>
>> http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/1g1fhf/case_study_for_replacing_python_in_0install/
>>
>> I've tried to do a bit of D advocacy there, but there's more
>> to be done. :) If you have a few moments to dispel some D
>> myths, and contribute constructively to the discussion, please
>> take a look!
>>
>> Best,
>> Graham
>
> I don't know how to make this test on Windows (current OS). But
> he uses this to test that failure to print hello correctly
> indicates failure.
>
> ./hello 1< /dev/null; echo Exit status: $?
>
> And Rust is the only one to pass in his list (ATS, C#, Go,
> Haskell, OCaml, Python)

If you want to know what happens on my linux box

   1 module hellotest;
   2
   3 import std.stdio;
   4
   5 void main()
   6 {
   7         writeln("hello world.");
   8 }

anthony at LinuxGen12:~/projects/temp$ ./hellotest
hello world.
anthony at LinuxGen12:~/projects/temp$ ./hellotest 1</dev/null; echo
status : $?
status : 0
anthony at LinuxGen12:~/projects/temp$