reddit discussion on replacing Python in 0install

ixid nuaccount at gmail.com
Mon Jun 10 16:26:22 PDT 2013

On Monday, 10 June 2013 at 18:25:05 UTC, Graham Fawcett wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> There's an interesting discussion going on at Reddit about
> choosing a replacement language for 0install:
>
> http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/1g1fhf/case_study_for_replacing_python_in_0install/
>
> I've tried to do a bit of D advocacy there, but there's more to
> be done. :) If you have a few moments to dispel some D myths,
> and contribute constructively to the discussion, please take a
> look!
>
> Best,
> Graham

Be careful with advocating D too much, I think what with the very
positive but visible D conference coverage we don't want to seem
like zealous fanboys. It may be better to let discussion of D
cool off for a while, then return when there is something new and
cool to show rather than get into arguments over Rust vs D. Those
will only degenerate and make D users look bad.

This is important- it reflects on the users and the language and
can very easily turn people away while single misinformed
comments will not be noticed by all that many people.

Don't rubbish Rust. Comparisons quickly and easily turn negative.