Formal Review Process

Jesse Phillips Jesse.K.Phillips+D at gmail.com
Tue Jun 11 06:55:30 PDT 2013

On Tuesday, 11 June 2013 at 03:36:23 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> The whole _point_ of an official review is to review the API
> that would end up in Phobos (the implementation is also
> important but very much secondary).

Then what are you complaining about?

> If a submission's API isn't ready to be merged into Phobos
> assuming that it passed the vote, then it isn't ready for
> review.

The whole point of an official review is to decided if the API is
ready to be merged into Phobos. A review manager can't make that
decision, he brings it to the community and has them decided, "Is
this API what we would like to see for handling ____?" and the
community votes yes or no.

Phobos is lacking in functionality to support Jabob's submission.
I think it is wrong to require that Phobos be fixed prior to a
formal review. Since Steven brought up the API your taking issue
with that, but I'm wondering about the Phobos maintainers views
on the implementation details not being ready for Phobos.

I don't think an addition passing votes means that it must be
included into Phobos right away (we don't have std.uni due to a
failed test on BSD). As long as there is agreement on direction,
for example it should use std.xml when we actually have a
replacement for it, then things should be fine. And if there are
many changes needed then a vote can be postponed until after the
changes are complete and a review wouldn't be needed again unless
the API changed.