reddit discussion on replacing Python in 0install

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 11 12:21:33 PDT 2013

On Tue, 11 Jun 2013 14:44:17 -0400, Jérôme M. Berger <jeberger at free.fr>
wrote:

> Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:

>>> I get the same on Mac OS X 10.6.3 using bash. Is Andrei perhaps using
>>> another shell?
>>
>> I use zsh. Indeed under bash I can reproduce the failure. But if I run
>> the printf-based test, it exits successfully.
>>
> 	Note that for zsh, "echo" is a builtin command, whereas bash calls
> the /usr/bin/echo executable...

This is so not true :)

Stevens-MacBook-Pro:testd steves$ echo $SHELL
/bin/bash
Stevens-MacBook-Pro:testd steves$ type echo
echo is a shell builtin

echo has been a shell builtin since bourne shell (/bin/sh)

But your point is a good one, built-in commands very much will behave
differently than separate programs.  For one, echo has to clean up after
itself since it doesn't spawn a new process.

-Steve