Formal Review Process

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Tue Jun 11 20:23:38 PDT 2013

On Wednesday, June 12, 2013 05:04:41 Jesse Phillips wrote:
> Another piece of information I'm interested in, is your adamant
> request for a pull request-able code for the internal code
> review. Meaning as a Phobos maintainer you can see how the
> supporting libraries are stored? Or are you concerned that the
> public API will need to change for a 3rd party library to fit
> into Phobos?

If it's not pull-request ready, then it's not showing how it would fit into
Phobos. What we have here is a link to a 3rd party project laid out as its own
project complete with the full built setup. Which pieces are supposed to go
into Phobos? All of them? Just some of them? Where do they fit into Phobos? How
will moving things around enough to make it ready for a pull request affect the
package layout and API?

By having a submission that could be merged into Phobos as-is, it's clear what
the API is, what is really being submitted for review, and how it'll fit into
Phobos. And since the submission has to be turned into a pull request in order
to be merged in anyway, why not just do it up front? Without that, it's not
clear what's actually being submitted. And it doesn't say good things about
the submitter and their willingness to get the code ready if they're not
willing to put their submission in a pullable state in order to get it
reviewed. I don't know if you gave Jacob a chance to do that before officially
starting the review or not (and by the sound of it, he _is_ now getting it
pull request ready), but he's already shown quite a bit of resistance in the
past to adjusting his code to match Phobos, so it just plain looks bad when
the submission isn't in a state where it could be merged into Phobos if it
were deemed to be good enough for it, regardless of what the actual intentions
of the submitter are.

It sounds like the wiki probably needs clearer guidelines as to what is
required of submissions to the review queue, but I don't see how anyone could
think that something was ready for review when it isn't even in a state where
it shows what it would look like were it to be merged into Phobos.

- Jonathan M Davis