Formal Review Process

Jesse Phillips Jesse.K.Phillips+D at gmail.com
Wed Jun 12 20:42:43 PDT 2013

On Wednesday, 12 June 2013 at 03:23:54 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
wrote:
> If it's not pull-request ready, then it's not showing how it
> would fit into Phobos.

I agree.

> Where do they fit into Phobos?

This has been what I'm challenging. The problem I'm trying to
solve, and probably inappropriately doing so as part of the
formal review, is as below.

1. We do not have a formal way to confirm a library should be put
into Phobos
2. When Phobos does not provide the supporting modules we do not
have a formal way to answer "Where do they fit in?"

I'm having a hard time concisely expressing myself with this. In
principle I completely understand why you're taking this
position, but practically I don't see it.

Let me go back to real examples:
https://github.com/jacob-carlborg/orange

Orange has a directory for 'tests.' Phobos has generally not had
unittests separate from the function/module being tested. Is that
unacceptable? I don't know, there certainly was no objection when
asked.

The repository provides a means to build the source into a
library. Does it really make it harder to review because someone
can build and use the code without checking out dmd, druntime,
phobos and building themselves a testable Phobos library?

There is also a wiki folder, it has an orange ball. Ok, yes there
are distractions.

I'll admit, I started from the docs, diving into the code as I
needed and had I started from the github repository it wouldn't
have been obvious where things would go in Phobos.