[dmd-beta] dmd 2.063.2 beta 2 - windows help broken

captaindet 2krnk at gmx.net
Thu Jun 13 08:59:34 PDT 2013

On 2013-06-13 00:58, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 6/12/2013 6:26 PM, captaindet wrote:
>> just checked and the windows help file d.chm is still broken. weird scripting
>> errors appear for every page/link. it is not usable this way. (it also wants to
>> connect to the internet, which i don't like at all, but this could be a windows
>> thing.)
>>
>> i love this help resource!
>>
>> [sorry for posting here, i couldn't figure out how to reply on the beta channel.
>> it does not seem to be a newsgroup and i don't want to subscribe to a mailing
>> list.]
>
> How strange, it works on my machine.

some further information:

i use the all systems .zip file and the problem is there since the 2.063 release. (as in: no problem before, including 2.062).

i have two different behaviors on my 2 win7-64 systems (they are in ifferent states of updating, one is fully patched, they other one not.). i have comodo firewall/defense running and can see a bit what is happening under the hood.

as usual when starting a new .chm help file, it needs to set half a dozen of registry keys. i allow this. then it wants to connect to the internet. this is very dubious and i don't allow it. this is something that should not happen and requires a fix already. a .chm file is meant for offline use.

on the old system, help contents are shown, but for every page/link i open, a scripting error message windows pops up. super annoying.

on the up-to-date system, i only see the list of content, but no actual content (just white space). no error message, no help.

if found that Andrej Mitrovic reported slow performance and potential online access/script downloading for an earlier beta:
http://forum.dlang.org/thread/51A50740.8040906@digitalmars.com#post-CAJ85NXB:2BJFjYX3dYOgJRW1OythZU9FovSigyAHhNnARuY652wQ:40mail.gmail.com

so it seems that the 2.063 .chm is not complete in itself but needs internet access. because i don't allow it, it fails. a .chm help file should be complete/consistent and work without online access. otherwise it is of no use.