[dmd-beta] dmd 2.063.2 beta 2 - windows help broken

captaindet 2krnk at gmx.net
Thu Jun 13 11:23:37 PDT 2013

On 2013-06-13 11:35, Paulo Pinto wrote:
> Am 13.06.2013 17:52, schrieb captaindet:

>>> Have you checked if the file is blocked via the "file
>>> properties"?
>>>
>>> For security reasons help files downloaded from Internet need to
>>> be unblocked, before all features are allowed.
>>>

>>> -- Paulo
>>
>> i don't use internet explorer. no downloaded file ever gets blocked
>> on my system by windows. starting d.chm is not the problem.
>>
>> i use d.chm from the all system .zip file. so i did not even
>> download it directly.
>>
>> btw: were would i be able to download it directly? i was searching
>> for it since 2.063 came out and could not find it.
>>

> It is a standard Windows behavior since XP SP 3, don't forget that
> CHM files use Internet Explorer as ActiveX component.
>
> Files extracted from .zip files inherit the .zip file security
> settings.

> Please try to unblock the chm file as suggested by Microsoft.
>
> -- Paulo

thanks for following up on this but this is definitely not the problem here. to be sure i used IE and downloaded a random file to see how this un/blocking works (as i am usually not confronted with this). and yes i found an unblock button in the properties of a downloaded installer. however, the 'd.chm' file from the full D zip does not have this property set, there is no unblock button. as i have elaborated further in the other post, d.chm does actually start up (blocked files files do not start), i just cannot use it. it seems it needs further content/scripts/styles from the internet to work. i did not allow it to connect to the internet for several reasons. the most obvious one is that this help is meant for offline use, otherwise i could just browse the d homepage.