reddit discussion on replacing Python in 0install

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Fri Jun 14 12:17:00 PDT 2013

> The 80's are a long time ago.

But old code can live on in surprising ways.

> Plus, your posting of the source code pretty much
> refutes that your buffering scheme takes into account how important this should
> be.  It ignores alignment of writes if you add an fflush in between writes.

One aspect of its buffering scheme being inferior doesn't mean the rest of it
is. There are a rather large number of issues with doing good I/O.

>> It's not the only anecdote I have about that, either.
> That's good, because the floppy DOS days are pretty much over :)

You're overlooking that there are a LOT of C runtimes in use out there, and
testing on one of them in one system doesn't say anything about other systems,
and many of them (such as for embedded systems) are fairly primitive.

I've never seen two C runtimes use quite the same buffering logic.