reddit discussion on replacing Python in 0install

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 14 13:37:45 PDT 2013

On Fri, 14 Jun 2013 16:31:35 -0400, Walter Bright
<newshound2 at digitalmars.com> wrote:

>> I think in the end, we are optimizing here in the wrong place.  If a
>> specific
>> hardware/software combination requires specific buffering, the place to
>> handle
>> it is in the runtime, not code on top of it.  If the C runtime that D
>> uses isn't
>> up to snuff, let's use a different scheme, or abandon it all together
>> *for that
>> specific device*.
>
> There's simply no reason to do that. There has been a fix proposed that
> not only solves the problem correctly (your solution is incomplete), it
> does not require any improvements to the underlying C runtime.

This doesn't fix the "problem" of when someone calls

fflush(stdout);

In their code somewhere.  Your contention is this messes up all the writes
beyond that.  If that is such a problem, we should avoid using such a
problematic library.  We are after all, in control of the D runtime.

But my argument is purposely ad absurdum, because it clearly is not a
problem for any systems that exist today (as evidence shows).  You are
arguing unproven hypotheses about systems that are long dead with no hope
of running D code.  I respectfully bow out to work on more important
things.

-Steve