Effective D book?

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Fri Jun 14 19:17:48 PDT 2013

On Friday, June 14, 2013 20:29:09 monarch_dodra wrote:
> On Friday, 14 June 2013 at 15:38:02 UTC, Szymon Gatner wrote:
> > Any plans on that now that language is stable enough? Andrei
> > authoring maybe?
>
> Who would write it?

I'm a bit reticent to bring it up given that I won't be done anytime soon, but
I actually started writing such a book following DConf. After Andrew brought
up the possibility of Effective D in his talk and all of the talk that occurred
at DConf about doing more with tutorials and publishing best practices, I
decided that I'd give it shot.

And while I'm sure that there's plenty more best practices that we'll figure
out over time, and some of what we do know has been shifting as we learn, I
think that we do know enough at this point about best practices in D to fill
such a book.

Interestingly enough, based on Andrei's suggestions, I'm writing it using ddoc
so that it can easily be converted into latex, html, and e-book formats rather
than being tied to any particular format (I was going to use latex, but Andrei
thought that a macro language would be better as latex is very tied to physical
print and fixed layouts). It'll probably be the first book ever to be written
entirely in ddoc.

- Jonathan M Davis