Expression evaluation order

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Fri Jun 14 19:21:40 PDT 2013

On Saturday, June 15, 2013 01:46:49 Timon Gehr wrote:
> On 06/14/2013 02:13 AM, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> > Personally, I would expect it to fully evaluate the right-hand side of an
> > assignment expression before evaluating anything on the left, and I'd
> > expect the same of any operator which is right-associative, ...
>
> Why? Associativity is unrelated to evaluation order.

It seems natural to me that the stuff on the associated side would be evaluated
before the stuff on the other, but that doesn't mean that it's the best way to
go. It's just what I would have expected. So, if there's a good reason to do
it differently, then I don't necessarily have a problem with that.

- Jonathan M Davis