Effective D book?

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sat Jun 15 15:19:07 PDT 2013

On Sunday, June 16, 2013 01:55:35 Dmitry Olshansky wrote:
> 15-Jun-2013 12:07, SomeDude пишет:
> > On Saturday, 15 June 2013 at 03:56:50 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> >> Heck, to throw something out there, why not "D Best Practices"?
> >
> > Or "D Patterns and Practices" ?
> > With some David Simcha content in it (if he agrees with that of course).
>
> IMHO D Cookbook sounds about right.

Cookbook is in a similar situation with Effective, if not worse, as O'Reilly
has a whole line of programming books with that name, and AFAIK, every
programming book with Cookbook in its name has been published though them. So,
an author who wanted to use that title would probably have to publish
specifically through O'Reilly to get it into that series.

However, from the looks of how the Cookbook books are supposed to be laid out,
they really aren't intended for discussing best practices. They're for giving
solutions to specific programming problems, with the idea that they contain a
list of such "recipes" that you can look up to figure out how to solve common
programming problems in the language or domain that the book covers. It would
certainly be useful to have that sort of book for D, but I believe that it
would be fundamentally different from what a book which might be published in
the "Effective" series would contain.

For the book that I'm working on, I'm really not going to worry about the
title at this point. I'm just going to write it, and I'll worry about stuff
like the title and who might publish it or anything along those lines once
it's much closer to completion.

- Jonathan M Davis