Another company using D

Justin Whear justin at economicmodeling.com
Mon Jun 17 10:05:58 PDT 2013

On Mon, 17 Jun 2013 12:49:36 -0400, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:

> On 6/17/13 11:48 AM, Justin Whear wrote:
>> I'm mrjnewt from Reddit;  I read the newsgroups Mon-Fri and post
>> infrequently.  The company I work for has been using D since 2008; we
>> have quite a few important pieces written in D, including the API which
>> powers our webtools, an extremely high performance economic simulation,
>> and we're in the process of moving all of our backend data processes to
>> D.
>
> Hi Justin - that's great to hear. What version of D are you using, which
> compiler are you using (dmd/gcd/ldc), and what is your schedule for
> upgrading the compiler?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Andrei

Most of our projects track fairly closely with the latest DMD release;
our main projects are on 2.062 right now.  We have some fairly
substantial codebases, so there's generally a two to four week lag in
adoption of the latest release.  Each project is free to work with
whatever version they want, so we find DVM pretty handy.  Each of the
last few DMD releases has broken our latest big project, so there's
generally a day of grumbling while we figure out what needs to change,
then we forget about it.
Our developers can request whatever hardware/OS they want to work on,
with most folks on Linux or OSX and a few using Windows 7.  Most
production code is built and run on Debian servers, so we pay attention
to Linux tool support but not much else OS-specific.