Another company using D

Justin Whear justin at economicmodeling.com
Mon Jun 17 13:24:43 PDT 2013

On Mon, 17 Jun 2013 16:20:11 -0400, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:

> On 6/17/13 3:54 PM, Justin Whear wrote:

>>> So basically, people who don't exist.
>>
>> Hah, that's the ideal.  It's not like we have some system of punishing
>> people who screw up, we just expect people to learn from their
>> mistakes,
>> something which is not true of everyone.
>
> When interviewing I'm observant to how candidates respond to various
> suggestions for improving their code. Some put effort in assessing the
> value of the suggestion and incorporate it if they find it good, or
> discuss it if they don't. Some others just make it a point that they
> didn't make a mistake, do all they can to defend code as is, and
> generally are unwilling to change code (even if sometimes is severely
> broken). That's a red flag.
>

> Andrei

In our case it's really that individuals are expected to own a project;
we don't have a lot of external deadlines or requirements, so we can't
afford to have people who require pushing.  It's great because you
generally get to work on what you want and take the time to do it
properly, but that freedom can only work if there's a corresponding
discipline and self-motivation.