Ranges and random numbers -- again

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Tue Jun 18 07:20:35 PDT 2013

On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 12:06:41AM -0700, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> On Tuesday, June 18, 2013 00:16:24 Joseph Rushton Wakeling wrote:
> > On 06/18/2013 12:10 AM, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> > > What were the reasons it was not accepted?
> >
> > I think mostly that, as a patch to std.random, it was a breaking
> > change.  There was a proposal to make a std.random2 but that would
> > have been a rather more major piece of work :-(
>
> Yeah. Changing std.random to use reference types would be a breaking
> change unless you just created new classes for everything. It would
> just be cleaner to do std.random2 instead.
[...]

The name "std.random2" still makes me cringe. I wish there was a
good alternative, but the only names I can think of are along the lines
of std.rnd or std.rand, which are inferior names we wouldn't want to be
stuck with. :-(

Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous? -- Hobbes,
from Calvin & Hobbes