More Linux love?

1100110 0b1100110 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 18 13:55:29 PDT 2013

On 06/18/2013 03:36 PM, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Jun 2013 04:54:30 +0200
> "Tyler Jameson Little" <beatgammit at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Anyway, used to be on Fedora and I also loved the D support. Most
>> Debian-based distros seem to be a bit behind the times for D
>> support. Perhaps there aren't a lot of D users on Debian Sid? I
>> haven't ever had a good experience with D on Debian and I usually
>> end up recompiling from source.
>
> DMD's prebuilt zip releases always worked out-of-the-box on Debian for
> me.

DMD's prebuilt deb releases have always worked out-of-the-box on every
Debian-based distro I've tried it.

And there is a debian repository that *mostly* works out-of-the-box
(meaning dmd works, but the other packages (vibe.d, dub,...) might not
work, depending on your distro..

http://code.google.com/p/d-apt/wiki/APT_Repository

I've bitched at people before for creating distro-dependent packages,
but D has been very good about "just working."  I'm pretty pleased with
the level of compatibility that the current packages exhibit.

The debian package has worked for me on:
Linux Mint, Linux Mint Debian, Debian oldstable, Debian Stable, Debian
Testing, Debian Unstable, Ubuntu, etc.

I don't know who does the packaging, but based on the amount of
incompatibilities that other projects have, I think the packagers
deserve a round of applause.