The birth of Åkerön

Tyro[17] ridimz at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 18 20:14:16 PDT 2013

On 6/18/13 8:41 PM, Joseph Rushton Wakeling wrote:
>> I can do my best here, from memory. If I get anything wrong, please correct me!

[...]
>> So then he talked about Akeron, his company that he wants to use to promote
>> several things.  One is helping people learn about D.  To that end, he has
>> established the web site dtutor.org (which Andrei registered during his talk I
>> believe).  See his announcement here:
>> http://forum.dlang.org/post/km6ccu$1ads$1@digitalmars.com
>
> I hadn't connected Andrew with Tyro[17].  dtutor.org sounds very cool, although
> it doesn't seem to currently point to anything, at least for me (the browser
> starts trying to load an IP address and never gets anywhere, apart from "D
> Tutorials" appearing in the tab title).

The site is not active at the moment... I wasted my entire month's
bandwidth allocation allocation in six days trying to properly configure
a server on the VPN had to move that part of my learning to a local box.
Running low on funds so was not able to get one until this past Friday.
I picked up a brand new Mac mini for half price, configured it to run
Ubuntu 13.04 server and am playing around with that right now. As soon
as I'm comfortable with setting it up I'll return configure the site.

Installing the OS of course is painless. My current issue is not knowing
what configurations I should make to secure the system. Speaking with
dav1d I know I at least need two accounts other than root. An
administrator's account and a user with zero access to sudo. I need to
set up nginx but I'm not sure to what extent I need to configure it. I
have some instructions from dav1d I must revisit. After that I need to
install DUB and Vibe-d and use supervisor to launch the site (not sure
about supervisor at the moment will have to play with it later, do I
launch nginx as root and then supervisor from the user account?). Just a
couple things to sort out with the server settings.

After that's all done, will need to clone runestone and start working on
porting it... that's where the real trouble begins I guess.

[...]

--

Andrew Edwards