Time to destroy Walter: breaking modules into packages

TommiT tommitissari at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 18 23:25:00 PDT 2013

On Wednesday, 19 June 2013 at 05:35:17 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
wrote:
> I _really_ don't like the idea of having the presence of
> package.d affect the package modifier, and I don't think
> that anything which controls how many levels deep the
> package modifier gives the package access to is worth the extra
> complication.

I don't like the extra complication either, but I think it's the
lesser of two evils. Worse is a situation where you would want to
break multiple modules, but you can't do it easily because of the
way you've structured your code up to that point.

wrote:
> If it's worth letting nested packages have access to their
> parent packages package-level stuff, then
> let's just do that for everything.

But this is not enough. Let's say you have modules A.d and B.d
under the same package. Now, if A.d uses something that is marked
'package' inside B.d, you can't break both A.d and B.d into these
new module-package thingies without re-structuring your code.