The birth of Åkerön

Joseph Rushton Wakeling joseph.wakeling at webdrake.net
Wed Jun 19 03:56:21 PDT 2013

Andrew -- thanks for the detailed explanation.  I have to say that I'm extremely
impressed by this kind of dedication to D given the long term constraints you've
experienced in being able to use it for yourself.

When you _do_ get the time, I can assure you that you will have huge amounts of
fun mastering D -- something that I don't doubt you will achieve.

I'm sorry to hear about your troubles with dtutor.org.  That said if you want to
speed things up there are a number of things I think you could consider.

The first would be to build the first generation of the site using a more
standard CMS of some kind -- MediaWiki springs to mind.  You could even as a
first iteration have dtutor.org forward to a location on wiki.dlang.org (e.g.
the already-existing wiki.dlang.org/Tutorials) to avoid the hosting issues.
Alternatively you could at first maintain tutorials on GitHub using Ddoc or some
other markup.

I know full well that this would be much less than you want -- it would lack all
the interactive features that you're looking to develop, and doesn't offer you
the learning opportunities of developing a site in D -- but it does get you to
the point of being already able to solicit and maintain tutorials which could
later be extended to work with the second, fully-functional version of the site.

Basically, don't let perfect be the enemy of good -- biting off more than you
can chew doesn't stop you returning it to the plate and slicing it up into
smaller pieces!

I don't really feel confident offering you help with the development of the site
itself -- I'm not experienced with web development and in the short term I'm not
in a position to correct that -- but I'll happily contribute some writing :-)

Best wishes,

    -- Joe