TDD is BS?

Jesse Phillips Jesse.K.Phillips+D at gmail.com
Wed Jun 19 09:24:48 PDT 2013

On Wednesday, 19 June 2013 at 11:01:05 UTC, Szymon Gatner wrote:
> This is not strictly D related but I am very curious about D's
> community opinion on the points made by non other than Jim
> Coplien here:
>
> http://www.tele-task.de/archive/video/flash/16130/
>
> D is the only language (that I am aware of) that has first
> class unit testing support. What do you think? Do we really
> just "mentally masturbate"?
>
> Article about the myths of TDD referenced in the talk:
>
> http://digitalcommons.calpoly.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1027&context=csse_fac

If you could point to the time where he talks about TDD that
would be good.

Based on what I've be hearing is his biggest complaint is about
classes and class hierarchy design. From this I'm pretty sure
this is where he takes issue with TDD, it doesn't help build good
class design.

At about 1:09 he goes into talking about roles, specifically,
write a script then assign out the role to a class to perform
that role. And in this way, it sounds very much like test driven
design. Script the action, find/build/train those to fulfill
those actions, he just left out the testing part.

For my hobby projects I find it very hard to find a use for
Objects and their hierarchy, I find structures and functions are
much easier to deal with and test (not that I do the best on
testing).