TDD is BS?

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Wed Jun 19 14:54:02 PDT 2013

On 6/19/2013 4:01 AM, Szymon Gatner wrote:
> This is not strictly D related but I am very curious about D's community opinion
> on the points made by non other than Jim Coplien here:

TDD strikes me as an ad-hoc way of constructing code, and is a poor substitute
for thinking about the problem as a whole. For example, I don't really see how
getting a square root function to pass its test cases is going to lead one to
implementing one of the classic algorithms for computing square roots. I don't
see how TDD for a compiler will lead one to rediscover what is known about the
best way to organize the logic of a compiler.

TDD is "curve fitting" which is what one does when one has no understanding.

D's support of unit testing is not an endorsement of TDD.