TDD is BS?

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Wed Jun 19 16:44:28 PDT 2013

On 6/19/2013 3:23 PM, Szymon Gatner wrote:
> Point of TDD for a square root function would be to create a good API for
> getting a square root of a number. Implementation is just a detail.

I just can't accept that. For one thing, implementation details often must drive
the interface. Just writing specs without any knowledge of how it would be
implemented will not produce an efficient design.

For the square root, there's a definite tradeoff between accuracy and speed.
With no knowledge of those tradeoffs, and just coming up with a spec, how can
you make the right decisions?