TDD is BS?

eles eles at eles.com
Thu Jun 20 01:13:39 PDT 2013

On Wednesday, 19 June 2013 at 17:31:33 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 04:52:22PM +0200, bearophile wrote:
>> irritate:
>>
>> >My feelings about TDD changed when I saw that talk explaining
>> >TDD
>> >in the context of double-entry bookkeeping in accounting

> Before methodologies like TDD could even begin to work, one has
> *solve* the problem at hand first -- analyse the problem,
> explore its
> structure, invent an algorithm, then one can verify the
> correctness of
> one's implementation with unittests. You have to already have
> an idea
> about how things are going to work, before TDD can help you.

For me, it is like this: TDD is rather similar to bookkeeping;
design is similar to doing (or managing) businesses.

While being (or having) a good bookkeeper will definitely help
your business to perform, the reverse is not true: being the most
careful accountant in the world does not mean that you will do
successful businesses.