TDD is BS?

Joakim joakim at airpost.net
Thu Jun 20 01:49:51 PDT 2013

On Thursday, 20 June 2013 at 05:05:29 UTC, Joakim wrote:
> I think their argument would be that if you're only interested
> in "classic algorithms" or "the best way" that is known, then
> you may not get much out of TDD.  But if you're exploring the
> solution space and trying to come up with a design that emerges
> with use, as opposed to thinking up a complete design in your
> head and then simply implementing it, I think they'd say TDD is
> a good solution for that.
Szymon mentioned uncle Bob earlier, I thought I'd see what he had
to say about the design benefits of TDD.  Here's an archived blog
post he wrote about the benefits of TDD:

http://web.archive.org/web/20120201002523/http://blog.objectmentor.com/articles/2009/10/08/tdd-triage

  From a design standpoint, he says you need to do all the usual
up-front design, but that TDD will help you modify and iterate on
your inevitably incomplete initial design quicker.