Today's github tip - fixing local master

Tyler Jameson Little beatgammit at gmail.com
Thu Jun 20 08:43:59 PDT 2013

On Tuesday, 18 June 2013 at 19:41:57 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> I often struggle with understanding how github works. A problem
> I was having often is that I have 3 repositories to deal with:
>
>    1. the main one on github (upstream)
>    2. my github fork of the main one (origin)
>    3. my local git repository
>
> and (2) and (3) got out of sync with (1), causing all my pull
> requests to go bonkers. What I needed was a "fix (2) and (3) so
> their masters are identical to (1)'s master." Various attempts
> at fixing it all failed in one way or another, often with
> mysterious messages, and cost me a lot of time.
>
> yebblies (Daniel Murphy) provided the solution, which is nicely
> generic:
>
>   git checkout master
>   git fetch upstream master
>   git reset --hard FETCH_HEAD
>   git push origin master -f
>
> So there it is if anyone else has this problem.

This saved me yesterday! My coworker decided to do a rebase on
master, then he made a mistake, push --force'd and in the
mean-time I accidentally git pull'd (we're a small team, I knew
he was rebasing, but still). We guard merges into master, so it's
normally not a problem.

Thanks for this! Probably saved us a quite a few WTFs!