The birth of Åkerön

Tyro[17] ridimz at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 20 20:29:01 PDT 2013

On 6/19/13 6:56 AM, Joseph Rushton Wakeling wrote:
> Andrew -- thanks for the detailed explanation.  I have to say that I'm extremely
> impressed by this kind of dedication to D given the long term constraints you've
> experienced in being able to use it for yourself.

Not a problem. When I find something that I believe worthy of my
attention, I am not against putting in the time. Just wish I had more of
it. But then again... don't we all?

> When you _do_ get the time, I can assure you that you will have huge amounts of
> fun mastering D -- something that I don't doubt you will achieve.

Something I look forward to dearly.

> I'm sorry to hear about your troubles with dtutor.org.  That said if you want to
> speed things up there are a number of things I think you could consider.

Minor setback. It mostly have to do with timing. As it stands the server
is back online. I still need to finish the configurations but at least
there is a static "under construction" page now.

> The first would be to build the first generation of the site using a more
> standard CMS of some kind -- MediaWiki springs to mind.  You could even as a
> first iteration have dtutor.org forward to a location on wiki.dlang.org (e.g.
> the already-existing wiki.dlang.org/Tutorials) to avoid the hosting issues.
> Alternatively you could at first maintain tutorials on GitHub using Ddoc or some
> other markup.

I'll be taking a look at vibelog soon for use as the interim solution.

> I know full well that this would be much less than you want -- it would lack all
> the interactive features that you're looking to develop, and doesn't offer you
> the learning opportunities of developing a site in D -- but it does get you to
> the point of being already able to solicit and maintain tutorials which could
> later be extended to work with the second, fully-functional version of the site.

Point taken. I should be ready to start soliciting tutorials within the
next week or two at the most.

> Basically, don't let perfect be the enemy of good -- biting off more than you
> can chew doesn't stop you returning it to the plate and slicing it up into
> smaller pieces!
>
> I don't really feel confident offering you help with the development of the site
> itself -- I'm not experienced with web development and in the short term I'm not
> in a position to correct that -- but I'll happily contribute some writing :-)

> Best wishes,
>
>      -- Joe

Thanks,
--