TDD is BS?

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Fri Jun 21 07:56:28 PDT 2013

On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 11:31:22AM +0200, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> On 2013-06-21 05:32, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>
> >[Snip]
> >
> >Bottom line is, schools are absolute garbage, and academic
> >achievement is *at best* completely meaningless.
>
> I couldn't agree more with your post. The problem though is that
> most hiring process uses the HR department, as you mentioned in an
> other post, and they only look at the degree. I only took a degree
> to have something "to show" for these HR departments, most of what I
> learned I learned on my own time.
[...]

+1, me too! I can say that 85-90% of what I do at work today, I learned
from my personal coding projects, not from the CS courses I took in
university. (That's why I like to joke about CS grads knowing more about
uncomputable problems than computable ones...)

Having said that, though, I *did* find that going through university
helped train my mind to think logically and rigorously, even if most of
the course content was not actually useful in real-life.

Valentine's Day: an occasion for florists to reach into the wallets of
nominal lovers in dire need of being reminded to profess their
hypothetical love for their long-forgotten.