TDD is BS?

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Fri Jun 21 09:47:46 PDT 2013

On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 05:48:25PM +0200, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> On 2013-06-21 16:56, H. S. Teoh wrote:
>
> >+1, me too! I can say that 85-90% of what I do at work today, I
> >learned from my personal coding projects, not from the CS courses I
> >took in university. (That's why I like to joke about CS grads knowing
> >more about uncomputable problems than computable ones...)
>
> It feels like there's something wrong with the world here :)
[...]

Only "something" wrong? ;-)

To be fair, though, I can understand why university programs are that
way: their goal is to produce more researchers and professors who may
join the faculty and produce more research. So they focus more on the
theoretical aspects of computer science in order to produce such
candidates, whereas focusing on more practical aspects is something for
technical colleges whose goal is to produce industry workers.

Unfortunately, in North America at least, the technical colleges lean
more toward stuff like "how to use MS Word", "how to organize your
company data in MS SQL", rather than _real_ programming, and
universities that actually *teach* real programming are more interested
in finding solutions to uncomputable problems than teaching students how
to solve computable ones, so there's a gap in the area of producing
qualified industry coders who can write functional software. There *are*
pockets of competent programming education here and there, of course,
but this is the impression I get from the general situation.

If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping in a closed room with a mosquito. -- Jan van Steenbergen